Hit enter after type your search item
NEWS SMART

Here you will find everything about smart and technology

Military veterans in tech panel: Workforce of tomorrow offers more diversity | BRK1055

/
/
/
118 Views

THIS IS FRIDAY AND IT IS THE FIRST EVENT OF THE MORNING AND I KNOW EVERYONE IS GROGGY AND TIRED, FROM ALL THE FUN THEY WERE HAVING YESTERDAY, I'M GOING TO SHARE A LITTLE TRICK WITH YOU EVERYBODY NEEDS TO CONNECT HERE

RIGHT? PULL OUT YOUR MOBILE PHONE IF YOU'VE GOT LINKEDIN, OPEN IT UP WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY HERE ON THE BOTTOM IF YOU HAVE AN IOS DEVICE OR IF YOU HAVE AN ANDROID IT MAY BE SOMEWHERE ELSE BUT YOU ARE GOING TO SEE A DOUBLE ICON, A DOUBLE SILHOUETTE ICON CLICK ON IT

THEN YOU SHOULD SEE A DARKENED BLUE CIRCLE WITH A SINGLE SILHOUETTE AND A + CLICK ON THAT THEN CLICK FIND NEARBY AT FIRST YOU'RE GOING TO SEE A BLANK PAGE AND WHAT IS GOING TO SLOWLY HAPPEN IS THIS ROOM AND ALL OUR RESPECTIVE LINKEDIN PROFILES ARE GOING TO POPULATE ON THIS SCREEN

>> NOW I WANT TO GO GET MY PHONE >> I KNOW >>> GET YOUR PHONES, WE'VE GOT SOME TIME >>> WHAT WE COULD COME AGAIN? >>> AGAIN, LINKED IN APP, IT HAS TO BE THE APP HIT THE DOUBLE SILHOUETTED ICON, THE PEOPLE ICON

>> I DON'T KNOW >>> THEN THERE IS A DARK BLUE CIRCLE WITH A SINGLE SILHOUETTE ICON AND CLICK ON THAT THEN A BUTTON THAT SAYS FIND NEARBY AND IT SHOULD POP UP CLICK THAT AND YOUR PAGE WILL POPULATE JUST LIKE MINE DID WITH EVERYONE'S PROFILE NO NEED FOR BUSINESS CARDS, NO NEED TO

DOWN EMAIL ADDRESSES, WE ARE ALL CONNECTED NOW GOOD TO GO? ALL RIGHT, WE GOT SLOW ONES IN THE AUDIENCE THIS MORNING >>> YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING BY ENJOYING YOURSELF LAST NIGHT >>> ABSOLUTELY YOU WERE DOING THE RIGHT THING LAST NIGHT BY ENJOYING YOURSELVES

THAT IS THE PARTY TRICK OF THE MORNING ALL RIGHT, I BELIEVE MINE OPEN IN CASE ANYONE WANTS TO CONNECT WITH ME AGAIN GOOD MORNING, MY NAME IS DANNY I WORK AT MICROSOFT MILITARY AFFAIRS, WHY ARE WE HERE THIS MORNING? WE'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION OBVIOUSLY BUT THE PANEL SPECIFICALLY IS TAILORED FOR YOU THIS MORNING WITH VETERANS

VETERANS WHO HAVE SERVED IN ALL FOUR BRANCHES OF THE MILITARY, WHO HAVE SACRIFICED THEIR YEARS OF NOT ONLY PURSUING A CIVILIAN CAREER, NOT ONLY PURSUING STABILITY, BUT PURSUING SOMETHING WHERE REALLY THEY ARE SIGNING THEIR LIFE AWAY AND WE'VE ALL SERVED AND COLLECTIVELY WE HAVE OVER A CENTURY OF SERVICE UP HERE, I'M SURE WE HAVE MANY OF YOU THAT ARE VETERANS OUT THERE, PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU SERVED, THANK YOU GIVE YOURSELF A ROUND OF APPLAUSE THE REASON WE ARE HOSTING THIS SESSION THIS MORNING IS BECAUSE MICROSOFT IS COMMITTED TO THE VETERAN COMMUNITY AND WHEN I SAY THE VETERAN COMMUNITY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT NOT ONLY SERVICEMEMBERS WE ARE ALSO TALKING ABOUT THE MILITARY SPOUSES WHO SUPPORT THE SERVICEMEMBERS, AND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE CHILDREN OF MILITARY FAMILIES WHO ON AVERAGE BASED ON STUDIES BASED IN DC MOVE 6 TO 9 TIMES DURING AN EDUCATIONAL CAREER IF YOU EVER MOVED TO A NEW SCHOOL, WHICH I HAVE MANY TIMES, I REMEMBER WALKING INTO THE CAFETERIA SWEATY PALMS TRAY FULL OF FOOD NOT KNOWING WHO TO SIT WITH

AND WONDERING IF I'M GOING TO HAVE ANY FRIENDS I HAD TO DO THAT ONCE I KIDS HAD TO DO IT 629 TIMES ON AVERAGE MOST KIDS DO IT 629 TIMES AND THAT CAN BE DRAMATIC THE THING ABOUT THE MILITARY SPOUSE POSITION WHERE UNEMPLOYMENT IS ABOVE 24 FOR THEM RIGHT NOW AND UNDEREMPLOYMENT IS OVER 50, IT IS CAUSING A NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUE BECAUSE THE SMARTEST AND BRIGHTEST MILITARY FAMILIES ARE OPTING TO LEAVE THE MILITARY IN DROVES AND NOT REENLIST AND NOT RE-UP FOR ANOTHER TOUR

BECAUSE THE QUALITY OF LIFE IS DETERIORATING FOR THE MILITARY COMMUNITY THEN WITH THE VETERANS AND SERVICEMEMBERS THEMSELVES I DON'T NEED TO GET INTO THAT, THEIR SACRIFICE AND SERVICE IS UNSPEAKABLE AND WE ALL KNOW THAT TODAY I'M HAPPY TO INTRODUCE MICE PANEL, I'M GOING TO GIVE THEM TIME TO INTRODUCE THEMSELVES, THE ONLY GROUND RULE IS TO BE INTERESTING AND THEN WE WILL LEAVE TIME FOR TRYING 26 >> MAKE IT INTERESTING QUICK HELLO, I'M –, I AM THE BLACK FEMALE AFRICAN-AMERICAN LESBIAN WITH A DISABILITY WHO IS ALSO A VETERAN

>> THAT IS PRETTY INTERESTING >> WOW, THAT IS REALLY — MY LIST IS SHORTER LEFT-HANDED THIS LESSON THEY SHOULD LEFT-HANDED DYSLEXIC MARINE, VETERAN AND I LIKE TO EAT CRAYONS >> ESPECIALLY THE BLUE ONCE >> THE BLUE ONES ARE THE BEST

>>> HELLO, I'M –, HOMELESS FOSTER KID JOINED THE MILITARY, SPENT EIGHT YEARS, JOINED MICROSOFT IN THE PILOT PROGRAM OF THE MSSA, AND TRANSITIONED INTO MICROSOFT FROM THE PROGRAM AND GOT TO MEET MICHELLE OBAMA >> AWESOME >>> SHE DIDN'T JUST GET TO MEET MICHELLE OBAMA RACHELLE OBAMA CALLED HER OUT AS AN EXAMPLE OF A STAR VETERAN WHO HAS TRANSITIONED SUCCESSFULLY FROM SERVICE TO A CORPORATION LIKE MICROSOFT SHE WAS CALLED OUT IN THE ROOSEVELT ROOM AT THE WHITE HOUSE BY MICHELLE OBAMA

>>> MY NAME IS TERESA SCUDDER AND I WORK FOR THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE, I'VE BEEN A MILITARY DEPENDENT AS A CHILD, I'VE BEEN IN THE MILITARY AND I'VE BEEN A MILITARY SPOUSE AND HERE I AM >>> COOL >>> I'M GREG LEONARDO AND I'M A CLOUD ARCHITECT, CALL OF DUTY PLAYER, AND OTHER THAN THAT I'M NOT VERY INTERESTING MILITARY INTELLIGENCE, WE WEREN'T VERY INTERESTING

>>> HE'S ONE OF THE SMART FOLKS DOWN THERE SO I'M GOING TO THROW THIS OUT TO THE PANEL FIRST OF ALL, WE ARE GOING TO PLAY SOFTBALL WHEN WE TALK ABOUT DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION WHAT IS THE FIRST THING THAT POPS INTO YOUR MIND? EQUAL OPPORTUNITY >>> EQUAL OPPORTUNITY >>> WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT TO YOU PERSONALLY? >>> BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT TO ME BECAUSE I FEEL THAT ANYBODY CAN CHANGE THEIR STARS GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY

SO ANYBODY CAN CHANGE THINGS THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN AND THINGS THAT THEY'VE DONE, AND THAT'S WHY IT'S IMPORTANT TO ME, YOU'RE NOT STUCK AND IF ANYONE SAYS YOU ARE STUCK WITH A HAND YOU'RE DEALT THEY ARE CRAZY, YOU CAN CHANGE IT AT ANY TIME >>> I AGREE, I THINK DIVERSITY IS RELATIVE TO WHERE YOU ARE SITTING AT THE TABLE, TO WHERE YOU ARE STANDING IN THE ROOM, TO WHERE YOU WORK, TO WHERE YOU SLEEP, TO WHERE YOU PLAY YOU CAN BE THE MAJORITY OR THE MINORITY, YOU CAN BE THE PRIVILEGE OF THE OUTCAST, IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE AT THE TIME >>> ARE YOU SAYING DIVERSITY IS MORE THAN JUST SKIN COLOR, ETHNICITY, GENDER? >> IN A ROOM FULL OF RIGHTIES IF YOU'RE A LEFTY >>> FOR ME, IT IS REALLY ABOUT FINDING A PLACE WHERE I FEEL I'M NOT THE ODD ONE OUT

IF WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT THEN WE ARE ALL THE MAJORITY AND I THINK THAT THE FEELING OF BELONGING NOT TO A COLD OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT BUT FEELING LIKE YOU HAVE A PLACE AND YOU HAVE A VOICE, AND IT MATTERS, THAT TO ME IS REALLY IMPORTANT >>> SO LET ME KEEP PULLING ON THAT THREAD WITH YOU RYAN, YOU'VE BEEN AT MICROSOFT FOR — >>> 5 1/2 YEARS >>> THAT IS A LONG TIME, HOW HAS DIVERSITY PLAYED A ROLE WITHIN THE COMPANY? WHAT DO YOU SEE THE COMPANY DOING? >>> SO, BETWEEN BOTH OF ENGINEERING ORGANIZATIONS I'VE BEEN IN, WITHIN IDENTITY THAT WAS THE FIRST PLACE I LANDED, THERE WAS THIS HUGE PUSH NOT JUST FOR DIVERSITY IN TERMS OF GENDER DIVERSITY, IT'S A PUSH OF DIVERSITY OF THOUGHT, YOU'VE GOT RELIGIOUS DIVERSITY, ETHNIC DIVERSITY, AND IT'S ALL ABOUT HOW CAN WE GET DIVERSITY OF THOUGHT IN THE WORKPLACE AND REALLY PROMOTE THAT GROWTH SO THAT IT WORKS TOWARD OUR INNOVATION AND THE GOALS WE HAVE IN A VERY FAST-MOVING SPACE THE CLOUD SPACE IS MOVING SO FAST THAT YOU HAVE TO CONSTANTLY HAVE THESE DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES IN ORDER TO ALLOW THAT GROWTH TO OCCUR

>> ESSENTIALLY ARE YOU SAYING THE VETERAN COMMUNITY BEING PART OF A COMEDY LIKE MICROSOFT IS VALUE ADD? >> ABSOLUTELY WE THINK ABOUT THINGS IN A MUCH MUCH DIFFERENT WAY THAN ANYONE ELSE THE LAST ONE WAS THE 1 OR 2 OF AMERICANS THAT ACTUALLY SERVE IN THE MILITARY, THINK ABOUT THAT ON A GLOBAL SCALE WHAT IS THAT NUMBER, WE ARE HAVING TO THINK ON OUR FEET AND HAVING TO FIND SOLUTIONS THAT MOST PEOPLE NEVER HAVE TO EVEN THINK ABOUT WHEN YOU ARE OUT IN IRAQ OR AFGHANISTAN OR WHEREVER, AND YOU'VE PROBABLY SERVED IN SOME THINGS THAT WERE BEFORE MY TIME, LEFT BACK STATION [>>> AGE DIVERSITY

>>> THIS WAS THE BLOW >>> A TRANSITION FROM BOWS AND ERRANDS TO GUNS, >>> YOUR SERVICE WAS IN THE RESERVES RIGHT? SO YOU WERE STRADDLING TWO WORLDS WHILE YOU WERE SERVING >> THAT WAS A NIGHTMARE >>> TALK TO ME ABOUT THAT >>> WELL, I GOT DEPLOYED TO HAITI AND MY BOSS WAS NOT COOPERATIVE

EVEN THOUGH IT WAS MANDATED BY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT THAT THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO PASS YOU, THEY DID >>> IT'S — RIGHT? >>> AND I GOT PIZZA HUT KICKED OFF POST FOR SIX MONTHS BECAUSE THEY REFUSED TO GIVE ME THE TIME I NEEDED, HE WANTED ME TO WORK UP TO THE DAY I LEFT AND I HAD TO QUIT BECAUSE I COULDN'T DO THAT I HAD JUST COME BACK FROM PLD SEE >> WHAT IS PLD SEE? >> PROFESSIONAL LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT COURSE

>> IS THE COURSE YOU HAVE TO TAKE TO GET SGT >>> I CALLED HIM BEFORE I EVEN LEFT THERE AND LET HIM KNOW THAT THIS IS COMING IN A MONTH, AND HE NEEDS TO FIND SOMEBODY AND HE REFUSED TO SO >>> INTERESTING SO GLENN LET'S TALK ABOUT YOU FOR A SECOND

YOU ARE A SENIOR EXECUTIVE AT A BANK FROST BANK IS IT? >>> I'M NOT A SENIOR EXECUTIVE BUT I'M THE ENDPOINT ARCHITECT, I'M WORKING ON THAT SO GIVE ME LIKE ANOTHER YEAR OR TWO >> YOU CARRY YOURSELF LIKE A SENIOR EXECUTIVE, YOU ARE A SENIOR EXECUTIVE IN MY EYES TALK TO ME ABOUT FROST BANK, YOU ARE IN SAN ANTONIO RIGHT? >>> YES, WHICH IS MILITARY CITY USA WE HAVE –, — AND LACKLAND

IT'S ALSO THE CENTER OF THE CYBER SQUADRON COMMAND CYBER COMMAND >> WE ARE MARINES SO IT TAKES IS A LITTLE BIT WE ARE STILL WRITING WITH CRAYONS

SO TALK TO ME ABOUT WHAT FROST BANK IS DOING IN TERMS OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION WITHIN THE VETERAN SPACE, HOW YOU SEE THAT EVOLVING >>> THEY DEFINITELY CELEBRATE ALL THE BIRTHDAYS, WHEN I GET BACK I WILL HAVE A MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE WHICH IS AWESOME I GET THE MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE AND THE ARMY BIRTHDAY MESSAGE WHICH IS KIND OF FUN THEY HAVE A VERY , THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT DREW ME FROM MY PREVIOUS EMPLOYER, THEY HAVE A MESSAGE OF OPTIMISM AND THAT GOES WELL BEYOND JUST WHAT YOU DO FOR BANKING, LIKE YOU CAN ACTUALLY FEEL THE OPTIMISM AND THE INCLUSION FROM WITHIN >> OPTIMISM AND FINANCE, THAT IS INTERESTING

>> IT IS IT IS DEFINITELY VERY UNIQUE AND YOU CAN KIND OF SEE THAT IN THE WAY EVERYBODY WORKS INSIDE SO I THINK MAYBE I KIND OF SCREWED THINGS UP BECAUSE I WENT IN THERE AND I WAS LIKE AZURE AND THEY WERE LIKE WHOA THEY ARE DEFINITELY BENEFITING FROM MY MARINE CORPS ATTITUDE WHERE I'M LIKE NO, WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS UNTIL IT GETS DONE AND WHETHER THAT IS 7 PM OR 9 PM WE ARE DOING THINGS SO I'VE BEEN THERE SIX MONTHS AND WE ARE ACTUALLY GOING CLOUD

I THINK THEY ARE DEFINITELY BENEFITING IN MY ATTITUDE TOWARD JUST CLIMBING THE HILL WHETHER IT IS THE 10TH MOUNTAIN HILL OR THE IWO JIMA HILL ON CLIMBING THE HILL AND THEY ARE DEFINITELY BENEFITING >>> WE'VE GOT TO HELP EACH OTHER OUT >>> I'VE NEVER HEARD OF FAST TRACK FOR AZURE >> WE ARE GOING TO TALK ABOUT THAT

>> IT'S CALLED APP ASSURE NOW SPEAK — >>> IT WAS IN TOPOGRAPHY AND NO ONE HAS WRITTEN IN CRAYONS YET PLEASE FORGIVE ME >>> SO YOU ARE VERY HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL EXECUTIVE DOING WONDERFUL WORK IN THE TECH INDUSTRY AND THE FINANCE INDUSTRY, LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING HAS THE MILITARY HINDERED YOU OR HAS IT HELPED YOU IN YOUR CAREER? >>> I WOULD SAY IT HAS DONE BOTH

SO, MY PASSION FOR DOING THESE THINGS, HAS BOTH BEEN GOOD AND I'VE COME OFF A LITTLE TOO OVERZEALOUS WHERE PEOPLE ARE LIKE NO NO NO, WE'VE GOT A SOCCER GAME WITH OUR KIDS AND WE NEED TO GO HOME AND I'M LIKE NO, IT'S NOT DONE YET AND THAT'S PROBABLY NOT WELL RECEIVED >>> ALL RIGHT >>> YOU'VE ALSO GOT THE TWO POINTS THAT THERE IS TRANSITION, WE LEARN, WE PRACTICE THINGS, WE RAN DRILLS, WE DID THINGS UNTIL WE COULD GET THEM RIGHT OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND THAT WAS A TRANSITION GOING INTO THE WORLD FOR YOU DIDN'T HAVE THAT

YOU HAD MORE POLITICS AND YOU HAD PEOPLE DOING THINGS THAT YOU DIDN'T EXPECT AND YOU HAD CONSEQUENCES AND UNINTENDED RESULTS FROM PEOPLE THAT DIDN'T WANT TO FOLLOW ALONG WITH YOUR PLAN AND THEY WANTED TO GO TO THE SOCCER GAME SO YOU GET A MARINE AND YOU HAVE TO LEARN EXACTLY HOW TO WORK THROUGH THAT BECAUSE WE LOOKED AT EACH OTHER AND HAD EACH OTHER'S BACK IT WAS YOU'VE GOT MY SIX, IT'S NOT SOMETHING THAT WE UNDERSTOOD WHEN WE GOT IN THE CIVILIAN WORLD THAT THAT PERSON DOESN'T HAVE YOUR SIX TELL YOU HE DOES BUT TURN BACK AROUND AND STAB YOU IN THE BACK >>> WHEN WE WERE DOWN THERE, WE WERE TALKING ABOUT WHEN YOU FIRST GO INTO AN ORGANIZATION, WHAT ARE THINGS THAT YOU DO? I WEAR MY MARINE CORPS TYPE IN ON PURPOSE AND I KEEP WEARING IT UNTIL SOLDIERS AND SAILORS AND OTHER MARINES COME UP AND , AND AIRMEN, TOO

[ LAUGHTER ] COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK AND IDENTIFY THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY WILL >>> IS THERE ANYONE IN THE COAST GUARD IN THE CROWD? >>> NO NO COAST EASE >>> BUT IT'S ALSO DOWN TO SOME OF THE POINTS, SOMEHOW WE ALWAYS FIND EACH OTHER WHEN YOU LOOK AT THIS PERSONALITY AND LEADERSHIP THING, WE LEAD BY EXAMPLE AND WE DON'T TURN AROUND AND WAIT OR DO THINGS, WE GO GET THINGS DONE

A LOT OF PEOPLE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND HONOR BOUND FOLKS WHEN THEY COME INTO AN ORGANIZATION, WHEN YOU'RE TOLD SOMETHING THEY WANT TO CHASE AFTER YOU WITH A STICK RATHER THAN KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO GET IT DONE BECAUSE THAT IS HOW THEY DEAL WITH THE PEOPLE THAT ARE OUT THERE, THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH HONOR BOUND FOLKS THAT WANT TO GO AND GET THINGS DONE WE WANT TO HAMMER IT OUT AND GET IT DONE >>> LIKE A MANAGEMENT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME >> WHY NOT? >>> BECAUSE >>> THE REASON I'M ASKING BECAUSE I WOULD IMAGINE IN THE MILITARY MICROMANAGEMENT IS PAR FOR THE COURSE >>> NO, IT WASN'T

>>> ON THE GUNNERY SGT AND IF I SAY TO MY MARINES I NEED THIS TO GET DONE, I DON'T CARE HOW THEY DO IT THEY KNOW THERE'S GOING TO BE A SERGEANT SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE IS GOING TO TAKE CHARGE AND THEY ARE GOING TO FIGURE IT OUT AND THEN SOMEONE ELSE IS GOING TO CHECK IT AND THEY WILL SAY YOU NO SHE'S GOING TO GO OFF IF IT ISN'T RIGHT AND THEN SHE'S GOING TO COME BACK

SO I TRUST BUT I VERIFY AND IF I SIT OVER HERE AND SAY I KNOW I WANTED THIS DONE BUT THIS IS HOW I WANTED IT DONE, I SEE YOU ARE DOING IT THIS WAY BUT I WANTED IT DONE THIS WAY >>> SO YOU TELL THEM THE INTENT BUT YOU DON'T MICROMANAGE THEM OR TELL THEM HOW TO DO IT >>> NO BECAUSE THAT LIMITS THEIR CREATIVITY >>> AND THERE IS A FLIPSIDE TO THAT BECAUSE YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND A LOT OF THE PEOPLE WHEN THEY JOIN THE MILITARY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE RESPONSIBILITY IS WHEN YOU REALLY LOOK AT THE RESPONSIBILITY GIVEN IN THE MILITARY IT'S ASTRONOMICAL

SOME OF THE THINGS I WAS IN CHARGE OF, I JUST COULDN'T BELIEVE, THAT 18, 1920 YEARS OLD I WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT MUCH TO COME OUT AND ONLY BE RESPONSIBLE WHEN YOU HIT THE PRIVATE SECTOR WITH THESE LITTLE THINGS AND WHAT PEOPLE WORRY ABOUT, YOU LOOK AT THEM AND GO REALLY? I GO IN THERE AND GO TO SOMEBODY DIE? NOBODY DIED WE ARE GOOD >>> CASE IN POINT, IN IRAQ WHEN I WAS IN A SHY WAS RUNNING CONVOYS, LOADING CONVOYS EVERY MORNING WITH MORE THAN $6 MILLION IN ASSETS AND 300 PEOPLE ON THE CONVOY AND I HAD TO MAKE SURE IT GOT THERE AND GOT BACK EVERY DAY THAT IT WAS LOADED PROPERLY AND EVERYTHING ELSE I'VE NEVER HAD $6 MILLION OF ASSETS SINCE I'VE BEEN OUT >> THAT'S A REALLY GOOD POINT, WE TALK ABOUT THAT, AT 17, 18, 19 YEARS OLD MANAGING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN EQUIPMENT FOR THE GOVERNMENT AND MILITARY, HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT TRANSITION OR HAVE YOU MADE THAT TRANSITION TO A FULLY SIBLING AND EYES ROLL WERE NOW YOU'RE ONLY MANAGING WHATEVER THAT IS, HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT MIND SHIFT? >>> YOU HAVE TO

IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL SELF SABOTAGE >>> IT'S A LOT OF HARD WORK IT'S A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR, WE HAVE GOOD BACKBONES SO BEING MILITARY FOLK WE TEND TO NOT GIVE UP TOO EASILY THAT I CAN PROBABLY SAY THE FIRST FIVE YEARS AFTER WE GOT OUT IT WAS A STRUGGLE BECAUSE I HAD TO LEARN HOW TO COMMUNICATE BEING AN EMT J AS WELL, TALKING IT ALL OFF, IT WASN'T EASY BECAUSE YOU GET BRASH AND YOU DON'T DO A MOTION SO YOU HAVE TO LEARN THINGS THAT YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO LEARN BEFORE AND TALKING TO PEOPLE BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS WAY MORE SENSITIVE OUTSIDE OF THE MILITARY >>> IT JUST MADE ME TALK EVEN LESS, MY LAST FIVE YEARS I WAS A CAREER RECRUITER SO I HAD TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE PUBLIC, I WAS IN THE CIVILIAN SECTOR TALKING TO TEACHERS, PRINCIPALS, CONGRESSMEN, GRANDFATHERS AND GRANDCHILDREN, I THINK THAT MADE ME A LITTLE MORE PERSONABLE AND ABLE TO RELATE MORE, AND IT TOOK AWAY THE DARK DARK HUMOR, DON'T GET ME WRONG MY HUMOR IS STILL EIGHT SHADES OF BLACK

BUT IT'S NOT A GALAXY WHOLE SO I THINK THAT HELPED ME INTO THAT TRANSITION AND THEN TRANSITIONING FROM ACTIVE DUTY, I'M A DEPENDENT NOW THAT IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FEELING BECAUSE SOMETIMES I WANT TO SAY STUFF BUT I'M LIKE SHE WILL FIGURE IT OUT >>> YEP >>> SO THE FILTER METER

>>> YES YOU HAVE TO ALLOW PEOPLE TO LEARN YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE AND LIFE HAS TO HAPPEN BUT COMING INTO THE CIVILIAN SECTOR I TOLD THE STORY WHERE I JUST CAME TO WORK ONE DAY AND SAT THERE, MY MANAGER LOOKS AT ME AND SHE IS LIKE WHAT IS WRONG? AND I'M LIKE NOTHING AND SHE'S LIKE WHY ARE YOU SITTING THERE LIKE THAT AND I SAID I'M NOT ANGRY ABOUT ANYTHING

IT WAS LIKE THE DAY THE GUNNERY SGT CAME OFF AND JUST SAT IN THE CHAIR NEXT TO ME THERE WAS NO ANGER YOU KNOW YOU WAIT FOR SOMETHING TO POP OFF AND SNAP, AND YOU'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO SNAP AT AND YOU'RE LIKE I'VE GOT IT BUT THERE WAS NOTHING >>> WILL YOU STILL HAD A LOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS, THAT WOULD GET ME AT WORK, PEOPLE LOSING THEIR TEMPER AND THINGS LIKE THAT TO WHERE YOU ARE JUST LOOKING DOWN AND YOU'RE LIKE, AND THE NOISES GET YOU, TOO

PEOPLE TEND TO MAKE REALLY LOUD NOISES WHEN THEY WANT TO CELEBRATE STUFF AND IT'S NOT A GOOD THING >>> YOU ARE MY EMOTIONAL SUPPORT PERSON >>> PART OF MY TRANSITION, BECAUSE I GOT INTRODUCED TO ALL THE DIVERSITY IN THE BUILDING EXCEPT THE ONE I NEEDED, THE ONE I NEEDED WAS THE VETERAN COMMUNITY AND I GOT EVERYTHING ELSE BUT THAT ONE DAY I CAME ACROSS RYAN AND I WAS LIKE SHE'S WEIRD RIGHT ON

IT WORKS FOR ME I FIT IN VERY WELL WITH THE MISSED FIT CLAN BECAUSE THAT'S HOW I AM >>> YOU DIDN'T COME ACROSS ME I FOUND YOU >>> BUT YOU WERE IN ISRAEL WHEN I SHOWED UP SO WHEN I SHOWED UP TO THE COMPANY SHE WAS STILL IN ISRAEL AND I WAS LIKE, I MET EVERYONE ELSE IN THE BUILDING NOTHING

AND THEN YOU GET BACK AND WE FINALLY MEET UP FACE-TO-FACE AND IT WAS COMFORTING TO HAVE ANOTHER FEMALE VETERAN EVEN THERE WE WERE IN THE SAME BRANCH OF SERVICE, YOU CAN TALK ABOUT US BUT YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT US, WE WILL TALK ABOUT EACH OTHER ALL DAY >>> THERE IS NO PC AMONGST VETERANS >>> WE HAVE SIBLING RIVALRY, WE ALL DO IT AND THAT'S PART OF THE CULTURE AND THE CAMARADERIE BUT IT WAS COMFORTING TO KNOW THAT IF I'M SITTING THERE BEING STRESSED OUT, NOT EVEN ABOUT ANYTHING, JUST CULTURE SHOCK LIKE THESE PEOPLE ARE VERY HIGH STRUNG FOR NO REASON

THERE IS NO ONE DYING THE CLOUD IS NOT EVEN FALLING, WHY IS EVERYBODY SO UPSET >>> THAT WAS MY BIGGEST ONE, YOU SEE THESE PEOPLE RUNNING AROUND LIKE CHICKENS WITH THEIR HEADS CUT OFF, SO WHAT'S UP, WE ARE DEPLOYING AN APP AND I'M LIKE DID ANYBODY DIE? OKAY COOL LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING WHEN YOUR SUPERVISOR OR MANAGER SEES THAT POISE UNDER PRESSURE HOW IS THAT RECEIVED? >>> I HATE TO TELL YOU THIS, MOST COMPANIES WHEN THEY SEE THAT YOU ARE MORE COOLHEADED UNDER PRESSURE AND YOU DON'T FLIP OUT, IT'S NOT, I TELL JOKES A LOT SO I'M THE JOKESTER AND EVERYBODY IS FLIPPING OUT AND READY TO PASS OUT ON THE FLOOR AND I'M CRACKING JOKES BECAUSE I'M LIKE LOOK GUYS, NOBODY'S DYING AND IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN, SLOW DOWN SO YOU DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE AND THAT IS YOUR TRAINING COMING OUT

YOU COME IN AND GO, YOU TAKE THINGS METHODICALLY AND GO AT IT, YOU DON'T GO RUNNING INTO A HOUSE BY BUSTING A DOOR OPEN AND RUNNING INTO THE CENTER OF THE ROOM YOU CLEAR ROOMS >>> THERE IS THAT ASPECT OF A SUPERVISOR SEEING THAT POISE UNDER PRESSURE AND TRANSLATING THAT AS APATHY MAYBE HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED THAT? >>> NOT APATHY BECAUSE I'M VERY MUCH FAST IS SLOW BUT SMOOTH THE STUDY ONE DAY I WAS JUST ON PAUSE

WHY IS EVERYBODY FREAKING OUT? WRITE IT DOWN OKAY HOW CAN WE SOLVE THIS? HOW CAN WE SOLVE THIS? YOU ARE REALLY GOOD AT THIS, INSTEAD OF YOU DOING THIS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE DOING WHAT DON'T Y'ALL SWITCH AND NOT TO INSULT ANYONE, BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO GROW PEOPLE IF THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT IS THEIR WEAKNESS AND THEY ARE TRYING TO PLAY ON IT LIKE A STRENGTH, NO, THAT IS NOT YOUR STRENGTH SWAP

WHILE YOU ARE AT IT YOU TO TEACH EACH OTHER SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO BE THE LEVELHEADED ONE IN THE ROOM AND YOU TELL YOUR MANAGER, YOU CAN KICK BACK AND SUPERVISE BUT I GOT THIS LET ME MANAGE THE PROGRAM, LIKE THE PROGRAM MANAGER THAT I AM AND YOU JUST DO YOUR THING >>> AND YOU SOLVE THE PROBLEM

>>> YOU DON'T HAVE TO SOLVE IT, YOU JUST HAVE TO MANAGE IT >>> BUT YOU ALSO CREATE SOME ISSUES, ONE OF THE SIMPLE FACTS THAT SOMETIMES YOU FIND THE BEST IN PEOPLE AND THEN IT GETS THE PEOPLE THAT MANAGE YOU INTO A KNOT WHEN YOU FIND SOMETHING DIFFERENT, LIKE WHEN YOU FIND SOMEBODY AT WORK THAT CAN DO SOMETHING BETTER AND YOU TRANSITION THEM AND SOMEONE TAKES OFFENSE BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU SO THERE IS A LITTLE BIT OF THAT >>> IF YOU ARE NOT CALLING YOUR MANAGER, MY MANAGER SHOULD BE GROWING ME THE SAME WAY I'M GOING THEIR FACULTY A LOT OF THEM KNOW HOW TO MANAGE PEOPLE BUT THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO MANAGE VETERANS

I'VE LIBERATED TWO SMALL COUNTRIES, THERE ARE THINGS THAT I'VE DONE THAT I KNOW THAT I CAN BE AN ASSET TO YOU AND THERE ARE THINGS THAT YOU KNOW THAT COULD HELP ME AND WE COULD BOTH BE ASSETS TO EACH OTHER BUT IF YOU ARE AFRAID TO BE GROWN BY AN EMPLOYEE, IF YOUR CHILDREN, YOUR CHILDREN TEACHER EVERY DAY MY 10-YEAR-OLD TEACHES ME STUFF AND I'M LIKE, BUT IF A MANAGER CAN'T RECOGNIZE THE VALUE AND THAT THEY SHOULD BE IN THAT POSITION THEY ARE INJURING — HINDERING THEMSELVES

>>> THAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT WHEN YOU HAVE A NEW MANAGER THAT WAS NOT PREVIOUSLY A TECHNICAL PERSON, YOU HAVE TO TEACH THEM AND USE LEADERSHIP SKILLS TO MANAGE UP ON THEM AND SHOW THEM LOOK, YOU HAVE TO DROP THIS PIECE SO THAT YOU CAN BE SUCCESSFUL AND LET ME SHOW YOU HOW BECAUSE I DID THIS 10 YEARS AGO AND THEN MANAGE THEM THROUGH IT AND THAT IS ONE OF THE THINGS COMING INTO FROST BANK, MY MANAGER IS AN INCREDIBLY TECHNICAL PERSON, HE AND I ARE BOTH MICROSOFT ALUMNI BUT HE STILL LIKES TO DO I'VE SAT DOWN IN THE CONVERSATION, IF I'M GOING TO BE ARCHITECT YOU HAVE TO LET ME DO THE ROADMAP AND MANAGE THE TECHNICAL, I NEED YOU TO MANAGE THE PEOPLE I NEED YOU TO BE THE XO AND DO THOSE THINGS, I NEED YOU TO MAKE US SUCCESSFUL AND IN TURN WE WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL >>> LET ME CALL ON THAT FOR A SECOND, I LIKE WHAT SHE SAID EARLIER ABOUT AS A MANAGER YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO MANAGE A VETERAN

HOW IS THAT DIFFERENT FROM MANAGING A CIVILIAN? >>> BECAUSE, SO I WAS A NETWORKING CHIEF, I LEAD THE ENTIRE INFRASTRUCTURE FOR IRAQ WHEN IT CAME TO NETWORKING SO I NO A THING OR TWO ABOUT NETWORKING HOWEVER, COMING INTO THE CIVILIAN SECTOR, WE ARE GOING TO PUT YOU AS AN ENTRY-LEVEL NETWORKER I WILL PLAY THE GAME, OKAY BECAUSE I'M JUST ENJOYING IT HONESTLY RIGHT NOW BUT WHEN WE GET A NETWORKING PROJECT, ALLOW ME THE AREA TO SHOW YOU WHAT I'M GOOD AT, AS OPPOSED TO TRYING TO MICROMANAGE EVERY PIECE OF IT

IF YOU SAY HEY I NEED YOU TO MAKE THIS DIAGRAM, OKAY GOT IT AND I START MAKING THE DIAGRAM AND I PUT ONE LITTLE VISIO STUDIO DIAGRAM ON THERE AND YOU ARE LIKE HEY DON'T PUT THAT THERE JUST PUT IT OVER HERE, >>> — >>> ASK ME WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS, ASK ME TO YOU NEED HELP OR ASSISTANCE, WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU NEED, GIVE ME THE TOOLS SO I CAN BE SUCCESSFUL BUT DON'T JUST TAKE MY E TOOL AND TRY TO DIG THE HOLE YOURSELF >>> ONE OF THE STRUGGLES THAT I FOUND IS THAT WE WILL GET REALLY AMBIGUOUS GOALS AND OBJECTIVES AND THEY WILL SAY OKAY, WILL WE WANT TO DO THIS NEWFANGLED THING, AND GO INTO IT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE , YOUR PROCESSES ARE BUNK YOU ARE NOT BUILDING A PROCESS OUT, YOU DON'T HAVE THE RESOURCES, THE TOOLS YOU ARE GIVING ME TO USE DON'T WORK, AND FOR ME THAT IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING BECAUSE IT'S LIKE WELL, YOU WANT ME TO ACCOMPLISH THIS THING AND I CAN DO IT BUT IF YOU ARE FORCING ME TO USE YOUR TOOLS THAT AREN'T WORKING AND YOU ARE NOT ALLOWING ME TO GO AND SOLVE IT MYSELF, AND DO IT THE WAY THAT I KNOW WILL WORK, INSTEAD OF MICROMANAGING HOW I ACCOMPLISH IT, THEN IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO TRY AND ACHIEVE THESE GOALS WITH THINGS THAT JUST DON'T WORK IS THAT IS THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO BE DONE

I CAN DO IT IF YOU ALLOW ME TO DO IT AND FIGURE THAT PART OUT >>> I LOVE MY WORK BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT OF VETERANS, WE HAVE THE FEDERAL SIDE TO BUT THEY ARE VERY AMBIGUOUS, WE WANT TO DO THIS THING OKAY CHECK THIS OUT

IF YOU WANT TO DO A THING, SAY I'M GOING TO RUN A PILOT THE MINUTE YOU SAY YOU WANT TO RUN A PILOT, WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU NEED AND THEY WILL THROW THEM AT YOU AND LET YOU RUN WITH IT IF IT WORKS, GREAT IF SOME OF IT WORKS AND SOME OF IT DOESN'T, WE WILL TAKE THE BEST PRACTICES AND THEY LET YOU REMIX IT, AND CHOP IT UP AND SCREWED A LITTLE BIT BUT IT'S YOURS AND THAT IS WHY I LOVE THE SPACE-TIME IN BECAUSE I'M ABLE TO HAVE THAT FREEDOM TO DO THAT

IF I HAVE AN IDEA, OKAY, LET YOUR IDEA DOWN, DON'T TELL ME ABOUT IT, SHOW IT SHOW ME YOUR IDEA, SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT AND WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND WE HAVE THAT, WHAT IS THE WORD FOR IT WE ARE EMPOWERED TO DO THAT >>> — >>> WE ARE ENTRUSTED TO DO OUR JOBS BECAUSE WE ARE ALL REMOTE

WE ARE EMPOWERED TO TRY NEW THINGS WE ARE ENCOURAGED TO TRY NEW THINGS, LIKE HEY I THINK THIS PIPELINE IS TERRIBLE, OKAY BUILD A BETTER ONE I WILL THEN >>> I'M A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT THAN YOU BECAUSE I SIT IN THE ROLES WHERE THE ORGANIZATIONS AND THE PEOPLE THAT I WORK WITH, I DON'T HAVE DIRECT CONNECTIONS TO WHETHER THAT BE VETERANS OR THINGS, I'M MORE FROM BEING AN ARCHITECT FOR SO MANY YEARS, I DON'T HAVE DIRECT REPORTS

I HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE I HAVE TO MOTIVATE IN DIFFERENT WAYS SO MY DAY SWAYS IN AND OUT OF HOW TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MOTIVATE THIS INDIVIDUAL OR THIS TEAM AND HOW DO I GIVE THEM THE VISION THAT THEY NEED TO EMPOWER THEM TO DO THEIR JOBS SO I'M A LITTLE BIT FRONT ON THAT FRONT >>> I DON'T DO ANYTHING LIKE ANY OF YOU >>> [ LAUGHTER ] >>> I'M A PROGRAMMER AND I'VE ONLY BEEN IN MY POSITION FOR A YEAR AND THE WHOLE AGENCY IS IN TRANSITION RIGHT NOW SO MY BOSS DOES NOT KNOW WHERE TO PUT ME

HE'S LIKE YOUR GO DO THIS, OKAY I'LL DO THAT OH, GO LEARN BA STUFF OKAY, I LEARNED THAT AND THAT IS BASICALLY WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING AND I'M ONE OF THREE VETERANS IN THE ENTIRE IT DEPARTMENT ONE IS A 68-YEAR-OLD NAVY SEAL, AND THE OTHER ONE IS >>> HE'S GOT SOME STORIES

>>> I DON'T KNOW WHAT HIS DEAL IS YET 18 MONTHS IN AND HE'S LIKE I WANT OUT AND THAT WAS IT AND THEN THERE'S ME AND I JUST, I GO IN TO DO WHAT MY BOSS ASKS ME TO DO, I FILL THE GAPS BECAUSE I WORK FOR THE STATE OF FLORIDA AND THERE ARE A LOT OF GAPS

WHEREVER HE WANTS ME THAT IS WHERE I'M GOING TO GO AND I ASKED HIM WHEN I CAME HERE, WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO LEARN AND HE GOES EVERYTHING AND I'M LIKE OH MY GOD >>> AMBIGUOUS >>> NOT HELPFUL >>> EXACTLY >>> BACK TO WHAT RYAN WAS SAYING A SECOND AGO, IN AN ENVIRONMENT THAT DOESN'T HAVE AS MANY VETERANS, IS THAT WHERE YOU GUYS POSSIBLY FEEL THERE IS MORE FIREFIGHTING IN LIKE ADMINISTRATION? >>> YES

>>> I FEEL LIKE BECAUSE WE ARE COOLER WE ALSO TAKE THE TIME TO PLAN FURTHER AHEAD, WHETHER YOU WERE EATING READY FOR A DEPLOYMENT, YOU ARE ALREADY LOOKING NINE MONTHS OUT BEFORE YOU HAD THE BERM AND I'VE NOTICED THAT, AT LEAST COMING TO FROST, I LOVE PROJECT RIGHT NOW, I'M RUNNING ROADMAPS LIKE CRAZY IN THERE LIKE WE HAVEN'T HAD THIS FOR SIX YEARS I THINK THAT IS A UNIQUE VALUE THAT VETERANS BRING, WE LIKE TO PLAN OUT WAY FAR IN ADVANCE AND DO LESS FIREFIGHTING, LIKE WE MIGHT BE A LITTLE MORE ORGANIZED >>> THERE IS A PATH THAT YOU FOLLOW, JUST LIKE CHAIN OF COMMAND THAT IS ONE OF THE FIREFIGHTS THAT I HAVE TO DEAL WITH BECAUSE SOMEONE WILL HAVE A PROBLEM AND INSTEAD OF COMING TO ME THEY WILL GO TO MY BOSS OR I HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME EARLY ON IN MY CAREER, SOMEONE WENT TO MY CVP AND I WAS LIKE HOLD ON, LIKE I CAN HANDLE THIS, IF YOU BRING IT TO ME

BUT YOU JUST CIRCUMVENTED FOUR LEVELS OF THE CHAIN OF COMMAND IN ORDER TO GET, IN ORDER TO GET YOUR IMMEDIATE ANSWER, DON'T DO THAT DON'T DO THAT TO ME YOU'RE GOING TO BURN THAT BRIDGE WITH ME >>> SO IT'S WITHOUT QUESTION, WHAT I'M HEARING IS THAT AS VETERANS WE ARE BRINGING IN PROBLEM-SOLVING SOLUTIONS, WE ARE BRINGING IN PROCESSES THAT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THERE, WE ARE BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS BY MANAGING UP SUCCESSFULLY AS WELL AS MANAGING HORIZONTALLY AND DOWNWARD >>> IT'S LIKE TAKING THAT LIEUT

, COMPASSED DOWN [ LAUGHTER ] >>> I HAVE A LOT OF THESE TALKS AND THERE IS NOT A SINGLE TALK ABOUT THE MARILYN TERRY THAT GOES WITHOUT SOMEBODY LAMBASTING A LIEUTENANT >>> AT LEAST WE DIDN'T SAY IT LIEUT DAN >>> BEFORE WE GET INTO TURN 26 I WANT EVERYBODY TO START THINKING ABOUT — Q & A , WE TALKED ABOUT A LOT OF GOOD THINGS THAT THE VETERANS BRING TO OUR ORG, WHAT IS A DEFICIENCY WE COULD BE WORKING ON WHEN WE ENTER INTO CORPORATE AMERICA? SOMETHING WHERE WE ARE LOOKING IN THE MIRROR AT OURSELVES, WHAT CAN WE IMPROVE? >>> A LOT OF VETERANS DO NOT NO HOW TO COMMUNICATE

AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RESOURCES OR THE INTESTINAL FORTITUDE, TO BE LIKE I'M A TERRIBLE COMMUNICATOR AND I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO COMMUNICATE, I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO COMMUNICATE UP DOWN LEFT AND RIGHT, IF YOU ARE IN AN OPEN ENVIRONMENT AND YOU DON'T TALK TO YOUR PEERS YOU'RE NOT LEARNING AND YOU ARE NOT GROWING YOU HAVE TO STEP OUT OF THAT I CAN DO IT I GOT THIS, AND TURN INTO, CAN WE GET THIS? DO WE GOT THIS? IF YOUR EYE DOES NOT TURN INTO A WE YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT BECAUSE YOU CANNOT BE SUCCESSFUL ON YOUR OWN >>> I LIKE THAT >>> TAKE YOUR RANK OFF >>> WHAT YOU MEAN BY THAT RYAN? >>> A LOT OF TIMES WHEN YOU ARE IN THE MILITARY AND YOU HAVE FOLKS THAT HAVE HIGHER RANK, THEY WILL SPEAK AT YOU

INSTEAD OF WITH YOU AND IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT FOR US TO BE ABLE TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH OUR PEERS, WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE HIGHER THAN US, I TALKED TO — AND I NEVER KNEW SHE WAS A GUNNERY SGT , NEVER KNEW THAT BUT THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE THAT I HAVE MET WITHIN MICROSOFT THAT I VERY MUCH NO THEY ARE A GUNNERY SGT , THEY MAKE SURE THAT I KNOW THEY ARE A GUNNY AND THEY TALK AT ME AND THAT DOESN'T WORK WITH ME

YOU DON'T TALK AT ME BECAUSE I WILL STOP LISTENING TO YOU >>> GOOD POINT >>> I WOULD FOCUS ON THE COMMUNICATION PIECE AND FOCUS IT SPECIFICALLY DOWN TO TACT I HAVE THE ABILITY, THE GOD- GIVEN ABILITY FROM THE MARINE CORPS, TO COME UP WITH THE WORST ANALOGIES I WOULD ENJOY MEETING AND WE WERE TALKING ABOUT USING A TASK SEQUENCE FOR WINDOWS TO DEPLOYMENT AND HOW IT WOULD NEVER BE USED AGAIN AND I LITERALLY USED THE ANALOGY LIKE COMING DOWN THE BIRTH CANAL

YOU CAN GO DOWN TO CHURCH AND BE REBORN BUT YOU WILL NEVER SLIDE RIGHT DOWN THE BIRTH CANAL THEY IMMEDIATELY UNDERSTOOD WHAT I WAS SAYING, BUT THAT I COMMUNICATOR PROPERLY? >>> YOU GOT THE POINT ACROSS >>> THEY CLEARLY AND QUICKLY UNDERSTOOD, LIKE THERE WAS SOME SHOCK VALUE >>> THAT'S A GOOD MARINE >>> AND THAT IS BEHIND THE WATERMARK OF THE MOST OUTLANDISH THINGS I'VE SAID IT WORK >>> I THINK MY THING WOULD HAVE TO BE, PUT YOUR FILTER UP BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE THE F BOMB EVERY THIRD WORD

>>> NO FREAKING WAY >>> NOT THAT F WORD, THE OTHER ONE >>> THE THING I WOULD HELP VETERANS WITH IS THAT WE TEND TO DO THINGS ALL ON OUR OWN AND WE ARE VERY HELPFUL WE COME FROM THAT ARENA WE LEARN THAT THAT GETS EXPLOITED REALLY QUICKLY IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR BECAUSE THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU ARE OVERWHELMED AND STRESSED OUT

AND YOU GO DOWN A PATH IT'S NOT JUST COMMUNICATION TO ME IT IS LEARNING BOUNDARIES A LOT OF US MAKING A TRANSITION FROM THE MILITARY, THE MILITARY IS A 24 HOUR A DAY JOB IN LEARNING TO GET TO AN EIGHT HOUR A DAY JOB AND GIVING YOURSELF THAT BREAK AND FINDING THE TRANQUILITY THAT YOU NEVER DID BEFORE THAT IS THE BIGGER KEY FIGURING OUT HOW NOT TO PUT EVERYTHING ON YOURSELF AND TAKE OWNERSHIP OF EVERYTHING BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GET IT DONE PEOPLE SEE THAT AS A WAY TO EXPLOIT YOU AND THAT IS USUALLY WHERE YOU GET OVERWHELMED AND THEN KICKED AROUND A LOT

>>> I DON'T THINK IT IS PURPOSEFUL EXPLOITATION EITHER THOUGH, WHEN YOU FIND A GOOD WORKER YOU REWARD THEM WITH MORE WORK WE ALL KNOW THIS, IN THE MILITARY IF YOU DO A GOOD JOB YOU WILL BE REWARDED WITH MORE BUT WE HAVE TO, NOT ONLY SET BOUNDARIES WITH OURSELVES, BUT COMMUNICATE THAT TO MANAGERS, THIS IS WHAT MY BOUNDARY IS I'M WILLING TO GO THE EXTRA DISTANCE, I'M WILLING TO GO THE EXTRA MILE OCCASIONALLY BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT I'M BRINGING MY BEST WORK TO WORK EVERY SINGLE DAY, AND THAT MEANS NOT ALLOWING MYSELF TO BURNOUT >>> THAT IS MY BIGGEST STUMBLING POINT, GETTING OUT THERE, I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO SET THOSE BOUNDARIES AND I SPENT A LOT OF TIME WORKING SO MANY HOURS TRYING TO GET THINGS DONE THAT I ENDED UP BURNING MYSELF OUT AT THE TIME AND HAD TO TAKE TIME OFF BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO UNPLUG AND HOW TO STEP BACK

>>> IT TOOK ME TWO YEARS TO LEARN HOW TO SAY NO >>> ONE THING THAT I DID VERY EARLY ON WAS LEARN TO MY MANAGER WAS NOT LIKE WHO SHE IS BUT WHO WAS SHE, AND I FOUND OUT MY MANAGER IS A FORMER MILITARY SPOUSE SO SHE HAS BEEN ON THE OPPOSITE END OF LONG DAYS AND LONG NIGHTS AND I TOLD HER I SAID I'M A GIVER I'M NOT GOOD AT SETTING BOUNDARIES SO YOU WILL HAVE TO BE THE TAKER AND SET THE BOUNDARY FOR ME AS IF NOT I WILL KEEP DOING HOWEVER I AM VERY VERY MUCH A HIGH PERFORMER

I NEED A GOOD PACE AND A VELOCITY LIKE 40 PROJECTS AT A TIME TO MANAGE BECAUSE IF NOT I'LL GET BORED AND IF I GET BORED I'M GOING TO START PLAYING WITH THINGS >>> AND THEN SOMETHING BLOWS UP RIGHT? [ LAUGHTER ] >>> BUT I LOVE THAT BECAUSE SHE WILL ASK ME DO YOU HAVE THE CAPACITY FOR THIS AND THEN SHE WILL PAUSE AND LOOK AND CHECK TO SEE IF I ACTUALLY HAVE THE CAPACITY BECAUSE I'M LIKE LET'S DO IT SO YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO COMMUNICATE ESPECIALLY WITH YOUR MANAGERS BECAUSE THEY WILL BE THE BUFFER THAT'S, THEY ARE YOUR FLIGHT JACKET THEY WILL BE THE ONES TO BE LIKE NO, I'M NOT GIVING HER ANYTHING OR ADDING MORE WORK, I'M DOING THIS FOR YOU, GO SIT DOWN IN THE CORNER SOMEWHERE IN COLOR OR SOMETHING

>>> HERE'S YOUR BOX OF CRAYONS >>> IF YOU LIKE ME THEY WON'T LAST LONG >>> ONE THING THAT WAS POINTED OUT TO ME YESTERDAY AND I THOUGHT ABOUT THIS AND REFLECTED ON ITS, I WAS TOLD THAT I WAS ONE OF THE MOST POLITE PEOPLE, SOMEBODY THAT I MET HERE, HAS EVER MET BECAUSE I SAID PLEASE, THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY WHETHER IT WAS THE JANITOR AT THE PARK LAST NIGHT OR WHATEVER, SO WELL I JUST GOT DONE TALKING ABOUT TACT AND BLOWING PEOPLE UP, IT WAS THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF GREETINGS AND CEREMONIES AND STUFF LIKE THAT, COURTESY AND DISCIPLINE OF REMEMBERING TO DO THOSE THINGS BECAUSE THEY ARE MUSCLE MEMORY, I THINK WE HAVE THE CAPACITY TO BE — >>> BEFORE WE GO TO QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS I THINK THAT IS A GREAT POINT BECAUSE WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS BASICALLY AS A VETERAN THERE ARE A LOT OF AREAS WHERE WE CAN CHANGE AND IMPROVE AND BE MORE ACCOMMODATING BUT AT THE SAME TIME DON'T FORGET WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM, DON'T FORGET YOUR ROOTS >>> RIGHT >>> WE HAD A CONVERSATION AND THERE WAS A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO FEEL INVISIBLE WHEN THEY WALK INTO A ROOM BUT THE FIRST THING WE DO WHEN WE WALK INTO A ROOM, NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO GET THE PROPER GREETING OF THE DAY AND THE GOOD MORNING, THE GOOD AFTERNOON AND GOOD EVENING, HEY HOW ARE YOU DOING

WE COME WITH MANNERISMS >>> THAT HAS GOTTEN ME SO MANY IN TROUBLE IN THE ARMY, THE COMMANDER WOULD COME IN AND I WOULD CALL ATTENTION ON DECK AND GET LIKE 20 PUSH-UPS IMMEDIATELY >>> NO PUSH-UPS FOR ANYONE THIS MORNING IN THE LAST COUPLE OF MINUTES WE HAVE I WOULD LIKE TO OPEN UP THE FLOOR FOR QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS, THERE ARE MICROPHONE SITUATED IN THE ROOM SO FEEL FREE TO GRAB A MIC AND ASK AWAY >>> THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH, I APPRECIATE YOU COMING OUT AND TALKING

MY QUESTION HAS TO DO WITH SOMETHING I ALWAYS ADMIRED ABOUT THE MILITARY, THERE IS AN INSTITUTIONAL KNOWLEDGE THAT GOES BACK TO THE CREATION OF EACH OF THE BRANCHES OF SERVICE AND THAT IS INGRAINED INTO THAT BRANCH OF SERVICE, YET IN THE CORPORATE WORLD WE DON'T SEE THAT THIS IDEA OF INSTITUTIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND PASSING ON INFORMATION TO THE PEOPLE BEHIND YOU, THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS VERY MUCH LACKING AND I KNOW THAT MANY ORGANIZATIONS ARE SEEING PEOPLE START TO AGE OUT AND RETIRE AND AS THEY LEAVE, THEY ARE TAKING ALL THAT KNOWLEDGE WITH THEM SO DO YOU FEEL THAT THERE IS SOME LESSONS THAT WE AS VETERANS CAN BRING INTO THE CORPORATE WORLD TO HELP FOSTER THAT KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER AND BUILD ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE INSIDE ORGANIZATIONS? >>> ABSOLUTELY, YES >>> SO YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS WHY WE WANT YOU

AND IF YOU OWNED EVERYTHING, IF YOU OWNED ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD IT WOULD BE VALUABLE BECAUSE YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO TRADE IT WITH ANYBODY ELSE AND I'M NOT SURE A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE CORPORATE ENVIRONMENT UNDERSTAND THAT, LIKE MY VALUE IS, CAN I SURE THINGS ABOUT IMPORTANT ARCHITECTURE, THE CLOUD, OR WHATEVER AND THE MORE THAT I SHARE, THE MORE VALUE I ACTUALLY HAVE AND IF I RESEED THAT AND SILO THAT AND SAY THIS IS MINE AND I'M NOT TO SHARE IT, AND THEN YOU LEAVE, WE ARE WORSE OFF THAN WE WERE , WHY DIDN'T WE JUST FIRE YOU FOR NOT SHARING? >>> I HAVE THE SAME POINT, I LOOK AT IT AS A LOT OF PEOPLE GRAB EVERYTHING EVERY DAY AND THEY FEEL THEIR WORTH IS EVERYTHING THEY CAN HUG BUT I SEE IT AS IF MY DESK IS CLEAR AND I GO HOME EVERY DAY IN MY JOB IS DONE, I START MY JOB AGAIN THE NEXT DAY >>> TERESA DO YOU FIND THAT AS A PROGRAMMER THAT YOU ARE GETTING KIND OF THOSE CONTINUITY BOOKS, THAT INTERNAL KNOWLEDGE FROM THE FOLKS THAT ARE AROUND YOU AND THAT ARE MAYBE MORE EXPERIENCED IN THE WORLD AND YOU ARE? >>> AT MY CURRENT JOB, YES THE LAST JOB I HAD, NO EVEN THOUGH THE TEAM I WAS ON, BEFORE I LEFT WAS GREAT

THEY PRETTY MUCH SAID TO THE MANAGER, YES WE ARE GOING TO HELP HER AND HE TOLD HER NO, SHE NEEDS TO LEARN ON HER OWN AND THERE WAS NO HELP SO, BECAUSE THEY DID THAT FOR ME, I MADE SURE WHEN I LEFT THAT WHAT I WAS WORKING ON, I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT KNEW HOW TO DO THAT THE ONLY ONE SO, I MADE SURE I SET UP TEMPLATES AND SHOWED MY TEAM HOW TO WORK THEM, AND I SAID THIS IS THE BEST I COULD DO FOR YOU

AND I LEFT THEM AS SET UP AS I COULD BEFORE HE LEFT >>> THE SAME THING >>> THE SOMETHING THAT THE FORMER SECRETARY OF DEFENSE USED TO SAY, HE VISITED MICROSOFT , JIM MATUS AS MANY OF YOU MAY KNOW IS A GENERAL IN THE MARINE CORPS AND HE WAS MY BOSS, I GOT TO MEET A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND READ HIS BOOK WHICH WAS REALLY GOOD BY THE WAY CALLSIGN CHAOS ONE OF THE THINGS HE REITERATES IN THAT BOOK AND I REMEMBER HIM SPECIFICALLY TALKING ABOUT WHEN I WAS IN UNIFORM IS WHAT DO YOU KNOW, SORRY

BRAIN PART WHAT DO YOU NO, WHO NEEDS TO KNOW IT AND HAVE YOU TOLD THEM THANK YOU GUNNY AND IF YOU THINK ABOUT THAT CONSISTENTLY, I THINK THAT TRANSFER OF KNOWLEDGE WILL HAPPEN AUTOMATICALLY AT A CERTAIN POINT THAT IT IS IMPORTANT TERESA TO YOUR POINT HAVING THAT TEMPLATE AND THAT PLAYBOOK, HAVING SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE GOING TO PASS ALONG DOWN TO THAT NEXT GENERATION

WE ARE OUT OF TIME RIGHT NOW, WHAT I WANT TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF OUR PANELISTS, OUR VETERANS, OUR MICROSOFT REPRESENTATIVES, ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF FROST BANK, I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR BEING SUCH A GREAT CROWD THIS MORNING AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUESTIONS AND YOUR PARTICIPATION, AND I HOPE YOU HAVE

Source: Youtube

This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar
Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views :